Wednesday, April 1, 2009

POST SECRET

Today I was sitting around bored, so I decided I should work on my Arts Symposium class since I have one month left and 8 assignments that I need to do, on my own time. I looked at the agenda and noticed an add for Frank Warren, Creator of Post Secrets was going to be lecturing on campus tonight. I looked up the blog http://postsecret.blogspot.com/ . I automatically new that I wanted to go to his lecture. I went up to campus and got myself a ticket. I wasn't really sure what I was getting myself into. I went to campus with an open mind and an open agenda. I sat down in the Ballroom, every inch of the ballroom was filled with chairs and they had chairs and a big screen set up in the Sunburst Lounge outside the ballroom, and the seats were filling up fast. The very first part of the lecture was the music video to "Dirty Little Secrets"by All American Rejects http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHd3ck6fHBw Frank started his blog as a project, he handed out post cards with his return address and asked people to design the card and add their secret to it, the one secret that they had never told any body. After years, Frank is still getting thousands of post cards a week with peoples dirty little secrets. After Frank finished, he left the mic open to anyone that wanted to share their secrets. It was amazing to see what people had gone through and were willing to share in front of a room full of complete strangers. It was so emotional for me. I couldn't believe what some people had never told people, until they found Frank, someone that will keep their secret and make them feel better knowing that they arent the only ones that know it anymore. Frank then gave us the challenge to tell someone our secret, because telling our secrets is our way of getting closer to someone, even if we tell him, on a post card, or if we tell our best friend or a family member. This was such a great lecture and I am SO glad that tonight I decided to go and watch this. So this is my challenge, if you have a little something that you want to tell someone but just don't know who...tell Frank he'll listen.
Post Secret/Frank Warren
13345 Copper Ridge Rd
Germantown, MD
20874-3454

If you guys EVER get the chance to attend one of Frank's lectures, do it, it was a real eye opening experience for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6rTkp1dek4
Just another one of Frank's videos....watch it!

No comments: